Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dead Sea Scrolls

Or Dead Sea Fragments as Joy likes to call them. Whichever you prefer, our church went to the NC Museum of History today to see them.

I did a little research before we went so that I wouldn't be completely ignorant about what I was viewing. I really had very little expectation of what they would be or what we would see. (A very rare thing for me). I must say that I completely enjoyed the entire exhibit. Being a lover of history didn't hurt, but somehow for me there was more than just looking at historical things. There was a connection with a group of people that loved the same God I do. That lived their lives to honor Him in the best way they new how. The remnants that these people left behind weren't holy or sacred or inerrant but they held a commonality of faith that was amazing. These people knew the same God I do and they responded to His call to preserve ancient writings that would be found some 2000 years later. Truly moving.

I will not soon forget the fragments of the Dead Sea Scrolls nor the people that gave their time and energy into leaving them for us to find.

No comments: